Hotel Acoustic Standards – Unbranded & Boutique Hotels
It is paramount for the commercial success of any hotel to create a quiet and tranquil place to sleep whether a small new-build budget hotel or refurbishment of a former warehouse into a five-star resort.
The design aspiration of bedrooms for sleep or study has to sit comfortably with neighbouring spaces such as restaurants, bars and gyms where music and higher levels of background noise are desired. Other spaces may include smaller private dining rooms, meeting rooms and conference suites where greater levels of privacy and speech intelligibility are required. Regardless of the size, external or internal hotel noise must be considered at the design stage so that patrons can enjoy their stay and local residents have no cause to complain from potential issues such as excessive hotel noise music egress.
We can help you meet the requirements of both the Building Regulations 2010 and client specifications. Typically, this means:
• Noise and ground borne vibration surveys.
• Reviewing acoustic reports done for the planning stage or providing noise and vibration criteria at an early stage to inform the planning application and the hotel acoustic design.
• Review proposed façade strategy (glazing and ventilation) to meet internal noise targets typically based on BS8233:2014 or WHO Guidelines 1999 and later WHO Night Noise Guidelines.
• Provide an outline for hotel acoustic design advice for existing or proposed separating walls and floors.
• Hotel noise music impact.
• Provide a full review of detailed drawings to maintain acoustic integrity of constructions.
• Specific assessments for successful application of BREEAM credits.
• Hotel commissioning tests to include overnight noise measurements and ANC-accredited sound insulation testing.
Branded Hotels And Airport Hotel Noise
Meeting noise and vibration targets is not just a matter of design pride, it is a matter of cost. Overlooking specific acoustic brand manual requirements can mean handover is delayed or ultimately the client will not accept the hotel based on hotel commissioning results.
This is why you need an acoustic consultancy widely experienced in hotel acoustics. We are proud to include the following brands in our portfolio across the UK and Channel Islands.
Citizen M; Garden Inn by Hilton; Hampton by Hilton; Premier Inn; Travelodge, Days Inn; Z hotels; Hotel Indigo; Center Parcs; Holiday Inn Express; IBIS; MacDonald and Hoxton.
Whether new build or ‘change of use,’ branded hotels tend to have rigorous standards that consider everything from internal hotel noise due to music transfer to noise from footfall in corridor areas. If desired, we can propose acoustic criteria for a new brand. Given our level of experience of British standards, international guidance and large number of projects where Acoustics for hotels is vital – we are the ideal consultants to help provide the optimum hotel acoustics.
Frequently Asked Questions
Specialised hotel acoustic design is required for guestrooms, restaurants, bars, gyms, private dining rooms, meeting rooms and conference suites. Environoise offers tailored solutions to ensure appropriate hotel noise levels, privacy, and speech intelligibility in these diverse spaces. These all combine to enhance the overall guest experience.
We consider both external and internal hotel noise during the design stage, but noise impact is usually considered first for a successful planning application. It is essential to prevent disturbances to patrons and residents. We emphasise the importance of thoughtful design of hotel acoustics, addressing factors like glazing, ventilation, and construction materials. This helps us create a serene environment within the hotel while minimizing noise impact to the surrounding area.
Put simply: noise. Not meeting hotel acoustic standards at an early design stage can affect the commercial viability of a hotel.
Environoise specialises in addressing airport internal hotel noise commissioning challenges which includes:
- proposing brand manual or bespoke acoustic criteria tailored to a specific brand or project
- evaluating noise transfer due to music, footfall, and other sources, and
- Hotel commissioning including measurement of internal noise, ANC accredited sound insulation testing to meet Hotel acoustic standards.
Yes. Environoise excels in maintaining acoustic integrity during hotel refurbishments and change-of-use projects. We conduct thorough reviews of construction plans, offering expert advice on separating walls and floors. Good hotel acoustic design means internal or external hotel noise is properly controlled.